Hater-of-Islam-in-chief, Ayaan Hersi Ali, believes Islam needs ‘reforming’. As an apostate from the religion she knew as a child, Ali has said many hateful and simply untruthful things about this peaceful creed. Of course, being so quick to attack the religion, she overlooks an important irony: were Islam not inherently peaceful and loving but rather ‘evil’ as she claims, Ali would surely have been rendered lifeforce-challenged some time ago.
Here are just two of the ignorant quotes attributed to Ali:
“Infuriatingly stupid analysts – especially people who called themselves Arabists, yet who seemed to know next to nothing about the reality of the Islamic world – wrote reams of commentary [after 9/11]. Their articles were all about Islam saving Aristotle and the zero, which medieval Muslim scholars had done more than eight hundred years ago; about Islam being a religion of peace and tolerance, not the slightest bit violent. These were fairy tales, nothing to do with the real world I knew.”
“…Bin Laden’s quotes from the Quaran resonated in my brain: “When you meet the unbelievers, strike them in the neck.” “If you do not go out and fight, God will punish you severely and put others in your place.” “Wherever you find the polytheists, kill them, seize them, besiege them, ambush them.” “You who believe, do not take the Jews and Christians as friends; they are allies only to each other. Anyone who takes them as an ally becomes one of them.”
Where do we begin when the Koran is quoted out of context in this way? OK, forget the sacred scriptures for a minute. After all, only a truly sick, twisted and wicked person could interpret them in a way that suggests violence is condoned.
Instead, I challenge Ayaan Hersi Ali to look at the happy smiling Muslim children in the featured image. These playful kids look more likely to strike a football with their feet than strike an infidel in the neck. Do these little children need ‘reforming’? Of course, not!
The reality is that our secular society has so much to learn from the ancient wisdom that is Islam. Did you know, for example, that Muslims are some of the most charitable people on earth? They give willingly (as they are commanded to by Allah) to the poorest in society, regardless of creed, colour, gender and sexual identity. Here are a few other things we in the West can learn from Islam:
- The word ‘Islam’ actually Means ‘Peace’! – An alternative interpretation is ‘submission’ (of the world to Islam), which then brings peace. So basically the same thing.
- Islam respects Women as Equals – Allah judges both men and women, therefore they are equal. Capisce?
- Jihad Means ‘Inner Struggle’ – when he refers to ‘Jihad’, a Muslim is more likely to be struggling with fasting from dawn to dusk in Ramadan than wanted to drive trucks over people!
- Islam is a Religion of Peace – see 1 above
- Muslims “Believe in Jesus” – Just not the same Jesus with the divine status that privileged Christians say He has. Or the Jesus Who died on the cross. Or Who was the Son of God. Or Who warned against false prophets coming after Him. But in many other respects, identical!
- Islam is Tolerant of Other Religions – goes without saying really
- Islam Facilitated a ‘Golden Age’ of Scientific Discovery – from algebra, learning how to cook meat on sticks and many other things to numerous too list here, Muslims were there well ahead of the West
- Islam is Opposed to Slavery
- Islam is Incompatible with Terrorism – the overwhelming majority of Muslims today are not terrorists. Given the way they have been treated (see the Crusades), this is restraint in the extreme
- Islam is a Democracy – sort of
In short, rather than Islam being reformed, it is rather the West that needs reforming by Islam. Fortunately, Muslims plan to do exactly that.