Along with ‘Intersectionality’, the word ‘hygge’ is one of THE words of 2017. Of Danish origin, and a key aspect of Danish culture since 1800, hygge is a word that non-Danes struggle to define.
To an extent, hygge encompasses positive feelings of cozy contentment and well-being through enjoying the simple things in life. A Dane will tell you, however, that hygge is so much more than this. It’s not merely holding a cup of hot chocolate to thaw your hands on a cold winter evening; nor is it only cuddling up with a loved one beside a roaring fire whilst wearing onesies.
If hygge is not only these cosy things, then what exactly is it? In fact, hygge is a word that is best defined by what it is NOT. Here then are some accredited examples of things hygge isn’t. Hygge is not:
- Death by cop: Getting mowed down by racist cops because of the color of your skin. This is not something privileged white Danish people ever need to be concerned about as they nonchalantly light candles to create a cozy atmosphere. By the way, this is an unaccredited use of candles, which should only be employed at vigils to mourn the regrettable actions of lone wolves, whose motives are as mysterious and impenetrable as the ways of Allah.
- Being threatened by a racist dog as you try to enjoy a soy latte in peace. African American womyn simply cannot contemplate the ‘positive feelings of cozy contentment’ that are a feature of hygge
- Having war literally declared on you because you are transgendered. This rarely happens in hip downtown Copenhagen, where attractive cis-gendered womyn and men strut their stuff on hygge-fuelled bike rides in a casual-deliberate manner:
- Having your athletic genes exploited by capitalist ‘sports promoters’ who will criticise you if you take a knee because of the racist policies of this fascist government and the orange tyrant which leads it
- Having to watch white people steal all your greatest ideas and inventions and shamelessly pretend they were responsible not you.
If none of these points have ever applied to you, well done, you have our congratulations (/sarc off). You are almost certainly a Cis-gendered heteronormative white privileged male. Hygge was made for people like you.
Like Everyday Feminism, the Accredited Times is full of articles about anti-hygge matter. We fearlessly take the side of the victim, to the extent that we are proud to identify new classes of victim that were previously unknown to humanity. In a nutshell, we write about anti-hygge matter because victims matter.