You don’t have to be a history professor to see that the world is headed down a path of fascism. Brexit and the election of Donald Trump have shocked the world, and sent political scholars into a state of panic, as they know too well where this leads historically. Progressives have sadly lost a lot of ground in 2016, and an examination of the political landscape reveals that things aren’t likely to get any better in 2017. Below is a list of indicators that suggest that the West is heading down a dark path towards textbook fascism and right-wing extremism.
- Increasing popularity of far right, populist political candidates such as Donald Trump, Nigel Farage, Marine Le Pen and Geert Wilders
- Increasing Islamaphobia throughout Europe and North America
- Increasing anti globalization sentiment and opposition to international governing institutions such as the UN and EU
- Growing opposition to common-sense free trade deals such as the TPP and TTIP
- Increasing protectionism, and favoritism of national companies
- Increasingly conservative views on immigration and a desire to turn down desperate refugees
- Growing admiration within the West for Putin’s fascist regime
- Increasing militarism and support for the second amendment
- An increasingly callus disregard for political correctness
- Increasingly blunt and bigoted views on race and gender
Together, these indicators paint a bleak picture for the future of the West, and suggest that we as progressives have a serious fight on our hands. And as the West crumbles under the weight of extremist demagogues, bigotry and nationalism, the looming threat of Russia is only growing. It seems likely that in order to regain lost ground and restore progressivism, we are going to have to be more savvy than ever in the new year, going outside of politics and seeking more sophisticated and subversive methods of fighting our enemies. The future of the planet depends on our ability to fight this growing movement towards fascism, and I encourage every progressive reading this to search deep inside themselves and pray for the strength and courage to do what it takes, as without us the planet is surely doomed to centuries of darkness and despair.